Before you start reading this. Grab a beer, or two .
I agree partially with Lumi, the game is dumbing down to a level where you could basically remove tactical from the title. However, I don't agree with just removing maps. Yes, some of them are CS maps, but that doesn't make them bad maps. I think this is the right place as well to talk about the thing I said in chat earlier about changing available weapons. Since that post I started to write down some things.
I completely agree with that all maps should be equal for both sides, but that doesn't mean they have to be removed. Removing certain weapons or possibilities is a more elegant way of steering things. Let's make an extensive list of all the things that could be changed in TO to make it better.
1. The most important thing would be Peterie for president instead of Lumi. I mean come on, you don't even have a good slogan. I have several:
- Every vote well spent, Peterie for president
- Gingers unite
- Yes we can
- Ich bin ein TO spieler
- Make TO great again
2. Money is cheap, this makes it too easy for players to buy expensive weapons. I also don't like the possibility of buying a mp in the first round. Some things I would aim for and possible solutions:
- I would aim to avoid people from buying mp head and body armour in the first round (this would mean $2100/$2300 total without/with ammo). In later rounds it's often too easy to buy an MSG ($4300/$4460) or even every round an AK ($3200/$3500) in stead of mp. This shouldn't be possible, if people want to buy a MSG they should have to sacrifice at least their mp in one or more round. Some possible solutions:
a. Let people only start with head armour. for the first round this would cut people down from $2575 to $1925. This would also remove $650 every round.
b. If you think thats too harsh we could also change the starting weapon back from DE to beretta/glock. This would cut sf/terr down to $2280/$2275 in the first round which is imo not enough. So I would suggest to also decrease the starting money to $600-700. This would remove $295/$300 every round.
c. When changing anything to the weapon system. Please increase buytime.
Furthermore, now were talking about CS anyway. What that game does right is trying to give every weapon it's own use. In TO a lot of weapons are not used because there is a better alternative for about the same price. So I would suggest making small price changes and maybe even damage output changes several times a year. (2-4 times a year) I haven't really thought all weapons through yet but I believe these changes could be made already:
- The MSG is OP in 3.4, I would suggest increasing it's price. (from $4300 to $4800, ammo from $40 to $50)
- HE nades are also OP, there are several ways to nerf them.
a. Lower blast radius
b. Lower damage output (but I suspect a and b are connected)
c. increase it's price (from $500 to $800)
Another thing we could do is nerf the betting system. The winnings from the betting system are OP. Even though the calculation is pretty smart in trying to create fair odds with the skill calculation, it is still not fair. Most rounds it is an easy guess who is going to win. There are also often situations where one team will win when the round ends, when there is only a low HP player in that team left and a few seconds on the clock this means easy money.
- Put a max on winnings. (max 2x payout)
- No betting in last 15-30 seconds
- Halve the winnings.
3. IMO it should be encouraged to play the objective. It forces the other team to force the duel in order to stop them from losing the round. Many people call it lame when someone does the objective because they prefer to hide around the corner. I may have a possible solution for this problem for which I would need Apo. Would it be possible to create a mutator which kills the enemy team when an objective is completed? This could possible by changing it in the mapfile, I dunno. Another important thing is the timer, I think 2 minutes is too short for many maps. The bomb takes 55 seconds to explode so you have to plant it already after a minute. If possible it would be best to have a different timer for every map. To start off I would add a minute for all bomb maps.
4. Too many funmaps/boxmaps are played, I would suggest removing Desertdestruction and Abbatoir and only keeping Deagle. Deagle is imo the only okay boxmap. (if this doesn't work I would also suggest upping the noreplay on mapvote)
5. Some maps are just shit; Desertdestruction (seriously, this is the worst map ever, even without nades) and FBI (corners to camp everywhere). I would also remove some other maps for various reasons.
- Bankershours, can't be fixed without some serious adjustments. So I would say remove it for now, it's unplayable for the whole sf side.
- Omega, too many buggy stairs. Unfixable
- Penthouse, it's FBI light. Without the hossies I don't see a reason to keep this.
6. Some maps have potential but need to be fixed in order to be playable, I'll add suggestions for as many maps as possible to make maps less onesided/campy since not everone may agree with removing certain maps. Then there is also that thing called hossies, all maps should have an objective imo. So I think we should think of adding if possible an alternative to these maps;
- Ambush, remove HE and concussion nades (OP).
- Abbatoir, if you decide to keep it I would say, at least remove nades and saiga. This map could be kinda fun with some changes I think:
a. close off the upper deck. When a player from the other team is there it's impossible to go up since there is no way you would win a duel when coming out of the elevator. An easy fix would be to close the doors.
b. the bases are too easy to camp in, so they need to be adjusted.
- Dust2, very good map imo. However the map is broken because of the lame nades. So I would suggest, remove the HE and Concussion nades for now until there is a fix to close off certain roofs. I think these roofs have to be closed off:
a. The roofs between terr spawn and long A. (above and around long doors)
b. The roofs from mid to short A. (all roofs around Cat)
c. The roof above mid doors.
d. The roof above the upper tunnel
Now I think off it. The only roof to be left open should be between mid and the left side of T spawn to punish spawncampers.
- Italy, can be a lot better. HE and concussion nades have to be removed here as well since it's even more broken than Dust2. Also, remove saiga, it's OP on this map. To make Italy a good map we would need more changes (it would still be very terr sided). All roofs should be closed off (nades). Market needs to be fixed since it's possible to bug there. There are also a lot of camping spots which have to be removed.
a. Before you go into the mid building from terr you can go onto that roof. (make it not accessible by removing the door doorframe)
b. When you go towards the mid building from terr there is a barrel with an slit in the wall to hide in. (remove slit and replace barrel with box so you can still hide a bit from snipers)
c. When you take the left hallway from terr you can sit on that ridge on the right. (remove completely)
d. When you exit market through the middle there are boxes. The high ones should be accessible.
e. Between the middle entrance of T spawn and the building you can still camp to stop off people trying to access T spawn. Since it's already hard to access through that entrance I would extend the building to make that spot inaccessible.
- Bankershours, this map is broken terr will always win unless sf is at least twice as good. If you decide not to remove at least remove the sniper.
- Blister, remove sniper. Would also simplify the spawns for to avoid camping.
a. Terr spawn; remove tank and the part upstairs
b. SF spawn; Remove all the buildings and objects so it's just an open plot of land.
Slayer.GY tried to improve this map. Although his version is not perfect I think it's a lot better than the original.
- CIA, increase the time it takes for terr to hack the mainframe. Should be at least doubled. Would also give sf the opportunity to hack their own panel once terr tried to hack so they can defend the objective from the other side. If I cooperate and we make it to the vent hack it's insta win.
- Desertdestruction, only if you decide to keep it. First of all, I hate you. Second, remove all nades, remove sniper, remove saiga. Also A slight change to the map itself, I would remove all boxes from the spawns.
- Drought, remove sniper and remove HE nades. Simply doesn't work in public.
- FBI, only if you decide to keep it. First of all, I hate you even more. Second, remove all nades, remove all shotguns.
- Omega, if you decide to keep it, remove nades and all shotguns.
- Rapidwaters, remove sniper and nades. The map is very sf sided and this could give terr a better chance to rush out. Also, Joey suggested to move the sf spawn to the back. This may also even the map a bit. Since there is now no objective I would suggest putting a hack panel in the basement. Also a hack panel at the side entrance from terr base next to the door to open that door into terr basement.
- Scope, since the hossies are gone maybe something avalanche like. Multiple computers to be hacked in order to save the universe.
- Terrormansion, I would alter the basement. Just make it simple hallways without room to camp in. Or maybe remove it completely and give terr the objective to escape to the car in the far corner on sf spawn.
- Thunderball, just add two bomb spots. One in ticket room or outside and one at the fire.
- Trainstation, again would add bomb spots. One in the prison, not sure about the second bombspot.
- Province, once people figure this map out it will become very terr sided because it's so easy to nade off sf. So I would suggest to remove the HE and concussion nades.